Is this too harsh? I'm thinking of starting a series called "Stupid S&@! Doctor's say to their patients". This is coming through my brain in the voice of Ozzy Man Reviews
Here is what I have heard this week: "maybe it's just anxiety" - NO, ITS SEVERE REACTIONS TO PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION
"If you eat carbs, like fruit, and veggies you will never lose weight" - NO, FRUITS AND VEGGIES ARE HEALTHY
"it's normal to have your period for 10 days and lose 6oz of blood' - NO, IT'S NORMAL TO LOSE 1OZ OF BLOOD.
"this is just part of getting older" - NO, JUST NO
"I don't know where this pain is coming from but we can just take out your gallbladder and see what happens" ALWAYS NO TO UNNECESSARY SURGERY, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THE PAIN IS COMING FROM!
Maybe I need more coffee but my heart has been hurting for people who are turned away, denied care, and given ridiculous and life-altering surgeries for a problem that could potentially be helped through functional medicine.
I think the greatest risk every physician, nurse, therapist, basically anyone in the health care field can make is assuming that you can help everyone you meet.
In school we are all trained the same way, but handed different tools. Chiropractors learn to adjust, surgeons learn to cut, internists learn to prescribe. We are all given our unique 'hammer' but then assume each person is just a nail to fit into our little personal theory of how the body works.
This is why I love functional medicine, we open our eyes to ALL of the tools, we develop amazing referral relationships so our patients are never alone, and we rely on testing and not guessing.
Here are the comments I received from our group:
1. And add, "Just eat less and exercise more" and you'll lose weight! Um, no. That advice actually made it worse. For being so smart, why are so many doctors clueless about these things? What's wrong with our training system for doctors that they don't know better?
2. All of your problems stem from being overweight, just lose weight and you will be healed of everything (including damaged cartilage in a knee)
3. I love the idea! I’m always shaking my head when I hear many’s (most’s 🤷🏼♀️😏) nonsense. Makes me think of a book I have called “How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor” by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn(Awesome book!)
4. My husband injured his ankle when he was deployed, the doctor at the VA said his BMI was just too high and he needed to lose weight so his ankle would feel better...... His ankle is visibly damaged and he is 90% muscle so of course the stupid ass BMI is too high.
5. 🙌🏼🙌🏼💗you know I am with you 100% on this we just talked about this
Do you have a story where your doctor didn't listen to you and blamed your symptoms on something completely unrelated?